Operating System Fundamentals
This course introduces basic concepts and fundamental principles related to operating system design.
Announcements During the Term
||R 19:00 - 22:00
||Monday 4:00 - 6:30 in CSEB3020
Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Galvin, Greg Gagne,
Operating System Concepts, 8th edition
Supplementary material for the text can be found
- W. Richard Stevens, Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
- David R. Butenhof, Programming with POSIX Threads
TAs will hold office hours to help students with questions concerning their
The time/place of the TA office hours will be announced here.
The course grade will depend on 2 assignments (25%),
a midterm exam (30%) and a final exam (45%).
The following links will become active at appropriate times throughout the course.
Final Exam (45%)
Some Important Dates
- Thursday May 5: First class.
- Thursday May 26: Assignment 1 posted.
- Thursday June 23: Midterm exam.
- Tuesday July 5: Last date to drop course without receiving a grade.
- Thursday July 7: Assignment 2 posted.
- Thursday July 28: Last class.
- Monday August 8: Final exam from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon in SLH E.