Operating System Fundamentals
This course introduces basic concepts and fundamental principles related to operating system design.
||R 19:00 - 22:00
||Monday 5:30 - 6:30 in CSEB3020
Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Galvin, Greg Gagne,
Operating System Concepts, 8th edition
Supplementary material for the text can be found
The powerpoint slides used in this course can be found
here. These slides are meant for students in this class only; do not post or otherwise distribute them.
- W. Richard Stevens, Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
- David R. Butenhof, Programming with POSIX Threads
TAs will hold office hours to help students with questions concerning their
The time/place of the TA office hours will be announced here.
The course grade will depend on 2 assignments (25%),
a midterm exam (30%) and a final exam (45%).
The following links will become active at appropriate times throughout the course.
Final Exam (45%)
Some Important Dates
- First class: Thursday, June 11
- Last date to add a course without permission of instructor: Friday, June 12
- Last date to add a course with permission of instructor: Friday, June 19
- Midterm exam: Thursday, July 23, in class.
- Last date to drop course without receiving a grade: Friday, July 31
- Last class: Thursday, August 20
- Exam period: Monday, Aug. 24 to Monday, Aug. 31 inclusive