This year's topic: Reasoning about Knowledge and Action
Intelligent agents often start with incomplete knowledge of
their environment and acquire knowledge they need to achieve
their goals through perception and communication. Two important
problems in this area are specifying when a plan that may include
knowledge-producing actions is executable and how an agent should
revise its beliefs when it makes an observation that is
inconsistent with these beliefs. In this year's version
of this course, we will examine work dealing with these problems.
- Brief Review of First-order Logic
- Reasoning about Action in the Situation Calculus
- Reasoning about Knowledge in Modal Logic
- Reasoning about Knowledge and Action in the Situation Calculus
- Complex Actions and Agent Programming in the Situation Calculus
- Seminar on Research Issues in Reasoning about Knowledge and Action and Belief Update
- March 12: Introduction to Reasoning about Ability and Knowing How
- March 17: Discussion on Moore, R.C., "Reasoning about Knowledge and
Action", Proc. of IJCAI-77, pp. 223-227, 1977, led by J. Huang and L. Lui.
- March 19: Discussion on
Levesque, H.J., "What is planning in the presence of sensing?",
Proc. of AAAI-96, pp. 1139-1146, 1996,
led by B. Zhu and B. Ghazizadeh.
- March 24: Lecture on Ability and Knowing How in the Situation Calculus
- March 26: Lecture on Joint Ability
- March 31: Introduction to Belief Revision and Belief Update
- April 2: Discussion on Gardenfors, P., Knowledge in Flux, Ch. 3,
led by X. Quian and X. Wang.
- April 7: Discussion on Katsuno, H. and Mendelzon, A.O., "On the
difference between updating a Knowledge base and revising it",
Proc. KR-91, pp. 387-394, 1991,
led by J. Ganogiannis and A. Menon.
- April 9: Discussion on
Boutiler, C., "Generalized Update: Belief Change
in Dynamic Settings", Proc. IJCAI-95, 1995,
led by C. Szabados.
Transparencies on Introduction to Situation Calculus
Transparencies on Foundational Axioms and Yale Shooting Problem E.g.
Paper on Knowledge and Action by Scherl and Levesque
Assignment 1 Solutions
Back to the Computer Science course list