COSC 3212.03 Computer Networks
Section M Winter Mon, Wed 19:00-20:30
Section N Winter Mon, Wed 16:00-17:30
Topics covered may include the following.
- Introduction to the topic of computer networks.
Introduction to graph theory, delay analysis, traffic
allocation. Local Access and backbone design
- Transport and Session Layers - transport protocol,
addressing, buffering multiplexing, crash recovery,
dialog management, synchronization remote
procedure calling, example of transport and session
layers in some existing networks.
- Presentation layer - issues in security and
encryption, data compression techniques,
cryptography, examples of existing presentation
- Application layer - File Transfer Program, virtual
terminal protocol, electronic mail.
- Internetworking - internetworking concept and
architectural model, TCP/IP, and Gateways.